Sunday 6 June 2010

Heat and Sandals

Making the most of the nice hot weather (in the low 20s in Scotland recently), I decided to acclimatise myself to conditions further. I had a little walk yesterday over variable terrain and surfaces with a 7kg rucksack on my back and sandals on my feet. I covered about 16 kms in 2 hours 20 minutes. What did I learn to help me on the Camino?

I think the most obvious is the need to start as early in the morning as possible and to avoid the worst of the midday heat. Yesterday I set off around 12.20 and it was getting uncomfortably muggy and humid. Not the most pleasant conditions.

The experience of wearing sandals was not a positive either. I found on the downhill sections especially that they were uncomfortable and continual use would invite blisters.

So....on the Camino it is early morning starts and the walking boots with Bridgedale socks!

No comments: