Sunday 13 June 2010

Chance Encounter

I completed my last weekly training walk yesterday. I say training walk, but it was just an excuse to get away from Carluke to avoid the Gala Day mayhem! So after the procession of gaily decorated floats had passed by my sister's house, we both set out on a walk to Crossford and a drink in the Inns. It was a lovely day walking down the picturesque, steep sides of the Clyde Valley to the friendly wee pub - The Crossford Inns - where we enjoyed a few drinks with the regular Saturday afternoon crowd.

It was while outside in the sun, that I was introduced to someone who was to help solve a problem in my last minute preparations.

I had already emailed to confirm all my hotel reservations but I had still to 'phone the Hotel Villa Jardin in Portomarin to do likewise. I was not looking forward to this as my Spanish is virtually nil. In fact, I wasn't even sure I had been successful in a previous 'phone call to reserve my room in the first place.

So, as it turned out, my introduction to Iain Gibson and his partner was a Godsend.

I need to explain.

I knew Iain by sight, but what I didn't know was that he was a near neighbour of my sister in Carluke - in fact he had been watching the Gala Day procession from his window as we had been watching from the street! BUT.... I also didn't know he was a Spanish Translator!!

In a matter of minutes this very helpful man was, by benefit of Skype on my mobile 'phone, confirming my reservation with the Hotel Villa Jardin! Brilliant! Not only that, but he had walked the Camino himself! Pressed for time, however, our conversation was cut short, but only after he gave me his contact details in case I needed further help. A real gentleman! Thanks Iain!

A chance encounter and everything was now in place. I am really looking forward to my Camino!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was a pleasure to help Michael and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance during your walk. Just wish it was me doing the walk. Have fun, start early each day and go easy with the wine and beer and you'll be in Santiago before you know it.