Wednesday 16 June 2010

Wednesday 16th June 2010 - Stansted To Sarria

Well it was an early start. I left the hotel about 5.30 am and walked out to the roundabout and waited on the local service bus back to Stansted Airport. In no time at all I was once more at the airport waiting on another 'plane. This one was delayed for half an hour and that meant that I arrived in Santiago Airport and missed my connection to Lugo. Rather than wait for the next bus and find out it was full, I caught the bus to Santiago itself. I then caught the bus to Lugo from there. It sounds a bit daft but it called in at the Airport on the way. I had been worried it would have been full when it arrived at the airport and I would have been stranded. As it was, the bus was very busy but everyone managed to get on anyway.

It was a lovely journey through scenery that was pretty much like back home. Once the ubiquitous - that's a good word! - eucalyptus trees around Santiago and Lavacolla were left behind they were replaced by the more familiar birch, oak and rowan. I passed through some of the places I am going to be visiting on my return - Arzua and Melide to name but two.

Once in Lugo, it was another bus to Sarria itself. This was a fairly short journey through similar countryside and the only thing of note were these big birds in huge bird's nests on the top of lamposts - didn't know any of the big burdz!! They were storks (I think?)

The Church Of Santa Marina



Getting Near Six

When I arrived in Sarria, I went up to the Church of Santa Marina to find out about the Credencials. They were available at 6 o'clock, so I then went back down the hill and found my hotel for the night - the Hotel Alphonso IX. Very nice it was too! First thing was a nice long bath and then some laundry was required for the stinky clothes. Suitably washed, fresh clothed and groomed and it was back to the Church to get my Credencials. Following that, it was some touristy stuff before the Pilgrims' Mass at 7.30.
Time To Get The Credencial



With The All Important Credencial

By now starving, it was a meal and a wee drink... then bed! It is going to be a long walk tomorrow to Portomarin and the Hotel Villa Jardin (Thanks again Iain!). The weather is beginning to clear up and I hope that is a sign of good things to come.

1 comment:

Iain Dickinson said...

"ubiquitous eucalyptus"!!! Your vocabulary is nearly as colourful as my Mammy's !!!! ;-)

From your young nephew.
Iain :-)