Sunday 20 June 2010

Sunday 20th June 2010 - Arzua To O Pino


A long lie-in today. Didn't set off 'til 7.20!!! I was looking forward to today's section of the Camino - it was short, shaded and fairly flat! Another beautiful day and the Camino was busy with a lot of people joining with day packs and going speeding by power walking!!! My sore feet were no more (it seemed) and there was a lightness in my step!!!!


Takin The Kye Tae The Fields


A stop at Calzada for breakfast afforded me the opportunity to strike up a conversation with Klaus from Bavaria. He was an optician, and had left his wife and family at home and had come on the Camino for no reason other than, he enjoyed walking! It was a very busy cafe and getting the old Credencial stamped once more, I was soon on my way again.

Memorial To Guillermo Watt
 It was getting hot by the time I reached Meson La Equipa and I decided a beer was in order. (It is just behind here, on the Camino itself, that I came across a memorial to a pilgrim who had died here on the 25th August 1993. Guillermo Watt was his name and bronze boots and a plaque mark the spot.). Just as I was finishing off, Klaus approached and chastised me for drinking so early in the day!! I hurried off in shame!!

Memorial Stone To Guillermo Watt
A Shady Glade
My spirits? were high, as I continued on my way and again struck up a conversation with some fellow Caminantes - a Danish couple this time. It is like the United Nations on the Camino!! It makes you ashamed, however, that many Germans, Danes etc are so fluent in English and you know next to nothing of their language apart from the basics.........in the case of Danish, bugger all!!!


Another refreshment stop was called for in the searing heat, and with Klaus' voice echoing in my head, I ordered a Coke and spent some time with Ray - catching up on each other's tales. He was heading for Lavacolla - some 12 kms beyond Arca - it was going to be a long, hot day for him! I wished him well, knowing I only had about 4 kms through the eucalyptus woods to the Hotel O Pino and a lovely comfortable room.
Ubiquitous Eucalyptus!!
Even after taking my time and having three refreshments stops, I arrived at the hotel earlier than I had planned. No sign of Steve, who had booked in to the same place. After the usual - yes, you have guessed it - it was a short walk into Arca and a meal. I spent a whole two hours taking my time over a three course with a bottle of white wine and coffee. Bliss!!!

While there, Robert arrived looking for accommodation for himself and his sister-in-law Julie. They passed on promising to come back and join me later. They haven't so far and I hope they have not too many problems as Julie was looking exhausted and obviously in much pain as it was!
Looking forward to tomorrow and the walk into Santiago de Compostela. Will be in no hurry to get there for midday as so many will. I will take my time and get my Compostela etc on Tuesday at my leisure.

Tried Skype Iain (Gibson) and couldn't get through. Will try again now I know what I am doing. Likewise Dot and Anne when I get time. Nice to know that the weather in Scotland is so nice too!

(By the way if there are spelling mistakes I apologise. Being limited for time mistakes will happen, and if I use spellcheck every word is spelled wrong anyway as a Spanish dictionary is used on the computer. OK! So my well-educated readers don't complain!)

No comments: