Monday 21 June 2010

Monday 21st June 2010 - O Pino To Santiago de Compostela

Woke up early and couldn´t get to sleep again. I had been saying to Robert and Julie that I wasn't bothered when I would arrive in Santiago de Compostela but I ended up getting up anyway and left the hotel at 5.20!!!! Yes, that's right!!! 5.20 am!!!

It was still dark and I had to put my torch on walking back into Arca. Nearly died of a heart attack when a cat went crazy on being caught in the torch's beam. I didn't know what it was at first!! Scared the life out of me!

The streets were virtually deserted and on leaving the town, I wasn't too sure where the Camino was until I spied a figure in the same situation. Together we eventually found our way through a forest. Our paths had crossed many times before and we knew each other although we could not speak each other's languages. He talked Spanish and I sometimes can talk English!

We were joined by someone else - three wise men in the dark! He talked a great deal before enquiring why I had nothing to say (I think?). I replied that I didn´t understand and that I came from Scotland. He seemed happy with that explanation.

As the sun rose he carried on ahead leaving me and my new pal to communicate as best we could. I then had to motion him to go on as my feet were once more beginning to be very painful and slowing me down. He waved in farewell and disappeared off - leaving me to hobble on alone (Michael - no pals!).

At The City Limits
I was to eventually meet up once again with him just after Lavacolla where he had stopped for a coffee. I joined him and he gave me a cereal bar to help my energy levels. Ray passed as we sat deep in conversation!!?!  But once more I had to leave my friend and bid him farewell and to struggle on to Monte del Gozo - the Mount of Joy!!! The way I was feeling was far from joyful!

Papal Monument On Monte Del Gozo

The walk into Santiago itself was never ending and the noise from civilisation again was quiet disturbing. At one point I was heartened by a group passing by urging me on and shouting "Ultreya!!!" It was only later that I realised the significance of this.
The End Of The Road
Wi The Completed Credencial
I was determined to get my Compostela before Mass at midday and in this I was successful but the agony of my feet continued during Mass as I had to stand until its conclusion with the swinging of the huge thurible or Butafumeiro! It was quite awesome as an American might say. In fact there was probably some American in the congregation saying just that! It was also quiet emotional and not for the first time this Camino, and for no reason, I felt my eyes water........ah don't know why?
Craning To See The Butefumeiro

Click here to view the Butefumeiro in action.

After the Archbishop and his pals recessed, I just had to sit down and, it was while I was crying once again, (from the pain of my feet) that Ray stopped for a chat. We went for a coffee in a rather splendid establishment complete with grand piano and formal waiters - very nice. Ray had been in Santiago before with his wife and was more familiar with its layout than I was. We left each other promising to meet for a meal at seven while I found my hotel for the next three nights. It has the most gorgeous view from the balcony as you can see!


The View From My Bedroom

A long bath and a change of clothes but this time I am getting Laundry service to do my clothes (such as they are). Why not??

A drink is now called for and then that meal with Ray, and anyone else we know and meet up with, for that matter. The meal and conversation were very nice and before we knew it, the Camino was taking its effect. Exchanging details, we said our farewells and made our separate ways.

Havin A Wee Swally Wi Ray

On the way back to my hotel and hearing the football on, I stopped to watch something called the World Cup and saw Spain beat sumbdy. Met Hortwig, a German guy who had walked fae Irun tae Finisterre! Great stuff pal!

Back to the hotel and bed. Night! Night!

1 comment:

Iain Gibson said...

Well done Michael, you made it. Your feet will recover in due course and hopefully you will have only happy memories of your camino in the near future. Congratulations once again on reaching Santiago. Was in Crossford Inns at the weekend, sunshine and Magners was enjoyed.